Monday, September 5, 2011

Souverain Chardonnay 2009, $17.00

OK. I had a killer party on Friday, and one of my co-workers who reads this blog (she's ALSO the one who introduced me to that package store next to Ginza - you know who you are!) brought me this lovely bottle as a gift. So I figured I might as well open it up & drink it. After all, it is a chardonnay, it is from Sonoma & Napa, and it does have an alcohol content of 13.9%. Killer!

The back of the bottle has this to say about this wine: "Superb fruit, eight months of oak aging, and lees-stirring have created a rich wine with intense notes of pear and nectarine." Excellent. I'm salivating already.

This is a light yellow-colored wine, looking almost like a sauvignon blanc, but with a much heavier body - the chubby little legs spring up immediately and meander down the side of the glass. On the nose, this wine is very reminiscent of the Trinitas chard with its heavy, oakey, buttery aroma.

On the palate, this wine is really incredible. On the mid-palate, I get a honey-covered fruit flavor, but not a pear or nectarine but almost like a clementine. You know those teeny little easy-to-peel, often seedless oranges? Yeah, those. After the blink-and-you-miss-it deluge of honeyed clementine, the finish is long & buttery, with hints of almond & bakery bread.

The mouthfeel (...) is also incredible, thin but luscious, with the tiniest hint of acidity to it. I cannot believe how good this chardonnay is. This is why I tell people to give me wine as gifts - not because I'm a wino (which I sort of am), but because I LOVE sharing the experience of wine with people. I don't drink wine to get drunk; I drink it to expand my palate & share my tasting notes with others. That being said, I also love being introduced to new wines, especially wines that I wouldn't necessarily pick out by myself, that totally blow me away. Just like this one. I'll have to ask my co-worker where she bought this so I can replenish my wine fridge. http://www.souverain.com/index.cfm?method=homepage.showpage

Cheers!
Kate

No comments:

Post a Comment