Friday, September 9, 2011

Barbed Wire Meritage 2009, $11.99

OK, I just have to get this out of my system...I love Florida! Not only is it sunshiney & happy, but the local Target carries some halfway-decent wines (sometimes ones I've never seen before) at some pretty good prices. I flew into MCO last night, hit up Target to pick up my favorite snackey treats (hummus & raw veggies), and of course to find a bottle of wine. This one was the winner. And it was on sale, too! Kudos to you, state of FL, for being my second home & for selling wine all over the place!

This meritage is a blend of cabernet & merlot with a 13% alcohol content. The back of the bottle brags that it is a "bold, classic Bordeaux-style blend." Well, I'm game. And the all-black bottle taunted me.

In the glass, this wine is super-dark & almost opaque, with long, instantly-forming legs that shoot straight down the glass like they're racing to the finish line. On the nose, it truly smells like a classic Bordeaux-style wine, with damp earth & rusty nail aromas.

On the palate, this wine is extremely interesting. It's almost like a warm, rare steak on the mid-palate, but with a long, disappointingly bitter finish. The tannins are young & firm, almost to the point where this wine feels like it could be undrinkable. That being said, the mouthfeel is incredibly smooth, the wine feels very lush on the palate, and there is only a tiny alcohol tingle to remind you that there's actually alcohol in here.

I'd have to say, to fully enjoy this wine, a half-hour of decanting should do the trick. But c'mon! This wine is from Napa. When was the last time you had a twelve-dollar red from Napa? For the flavor-to-price ratio, the only thing better is Layer Cake cab.

This wine is from Sutter Home, made especially for Target. It's on sale now if you're interested. Go! Go!

Cheers!
Kate

No comments:

Post a Comment