Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Aquinas 2009 Napa Valley Pinot Noir, $17.99

OK. I used to be a huge fan of Aquinas' cabernet, back in the day when they still sold it by the glass at Max Amore in Glastonbury. I totally found this bottle by accident. I was eating lunch at my favorite Japanese restaurant, Ginza in Wethersfield, when my eating companions pointed out that there was a brand-new package store next door. It was so new, I didn't even get the name. But I liked it in there. The selection was great, the prices were incredible, and you know I'll be going back.

So back to the wine. Pinot noir is growing on me, something I never thought would happen but obviously suprised the heck outta me. It has that pretty purple-ruby color that I love, and it surprisingly leaves a bunch of thin legs down the side of the glass. On the nose, I get an interesting whiff of seaweed salad (ironic, no?) - it's wild!

Unfortunately, the flavor is a little disappointing.

This wine is not bad - far from it. It's just nothing special. The mouthfeel (...) is very nice, silky & smooth. The flavor is not exceptional, though. I don't get the "polished notes of cherries and red berries" on my palate, though I do taste the tannins. But, to be fair, the tannins are quite the opposite of bitter, and there's no alcohol burn down my throat, despite the 13.8% alcohol content.

Bottom line? For a few more dollars, I'd rather purchase the Rodney Strong Estate Vineyards. That being said, I'm tracking down a bottle of the cab. Now that's love. http://marketplace.donandsons.com/Brands/Aquinas

Cheers!
Kate

No comments:

Post a Comment