Saturday, August 13, 2011

Trazado 2008 Cabernet Sauvignon, D.O. Maipo Valley, Chile, $22.99 or 2/$40

OK. I love cab & you all know how much I love a good Chilean red. So when you add in this wine's 14.5% alcohol content, you've got the perfect wine for right now.

The last three weeks have been hell on wheels. Where to begin? There are so many bad things going on that I could cry. But let's not dwell on the bad things. Let's just say, we need to have a shout-out to the following people: Ta, Pazza, Jill, Anthony, Kate's knee.

So this wine is a real treat. It smells really spicy & meaty on the nose, with quick-miving legs down the side of the glass. It's a gorgeous color, like a dark cherry red, which is nice b/c the back of the bottle says that there are "rich flavours of black cherry and plum" in the glass.

Tragedy. This wine is not as good as I hoped.

Now, don't get me wrong, it's not a bad wine, and it's certainly better than a lot of other wines I've had. It's just too damn spicy, plus the tannins are off-the-charts bitter. I don't taste the black cherry or plum, all I taste is spice & bitter.

That being said, the mouthfeel (...) on this wine is smooth & silky, and I can tell it's very well-crafted. I'm just not in love with the way it tastes. It's very Old-world, and while I don't have a problem with Old-world flavors, I do have a problem with paying this much money for a bottle of wine where all I taste is bitter.

Tell you what. I'll return tomorrow, when the rest of the bottle is decanted, and report back. This wine cannot be this much of a tragedy, I won't allow it.

Cheers!
Kate

No comments:

Post a Comment