Monday, October 11, 2010

Pacific Rim Non-Vintage Dry Riesling, $10.99


OK. So I can practically see you all thinking, What's the deal with all the Pacific Rim? Doesn't this b*tch drink anything other than Pacific Rim?

Well, of course I do. But I love Pacific Rim, for its taste & its price point. You know, sometimes you just want to open a bottle of wine where you don't have to fidget with the fancy wine opener (this has a screw top), you don't have to feel guilty about opening up a pricey bottle (I can buy five of these & spend less than I would on a bottle of Bommarito - more on that to come), and you can sip & enjoy. This wine in particular is very near & dear to my heart.

On June 2nd, 2004, I was introduced to this wine at my dear friend Carly's 25th birthday party at Legal Sea Foods in Copley Square, Boston. My date Kate Knowles, who's originally from Cali, introduced me to this wine & to the fish stew called cioppino. This was actually the 1st wine I'd ever tried & liked. I liked it a lot. Of course, it was from Bonny Doon Vineyards back in '04. Things have changed a little since then.

I also got drunk on this wine on the night of June 22nd, 2006. Less than 18 hours before my sister Missy & brother-in-law Justin got married, my boyfriend at the time dumped me. At 11:00 at night. What a loser. This wine was my comfort that night & the following day, when I was so upset about being the fat, just-dumped, older sister of the bride.

On the nose, this wine smells like any other dry riesling, crisp & acidic. It has a lower alcohol content (12.5% - figures it was the one to break me in) & forms a thin sheet on the glass.

On the palate, this wine is just as crisp as it ever was. I taste a faint hint of apricot on the mid-palate, which the back of the bottle promises. The bottle also promises tastes of lime, but I don't taste lime, I only get the acidity of the lime. The finish is short but pleasant. Mainly, the taste that sticks out is the acidity & the freshness. This is not a sweet wine.

As you've probably gathered, I adore this wine. This is my 1st love, so if you don't love it, don't tell me! www.pacificrimwinemakers.com.

Cheers!
Kate

P.S. You can get a really bangin' cioppino at Bobby Flay's "Bar Americain" at Mohegan Sun in CT, if you're interested. Also, I had another really great cioppino at "Scoma" in San Francisco's Fisherman's Wharf. Both are highly recommended.

P.P.S. This photo is of me & Kate Knowles at Carly's birthday party. God, I miss that girl every day. Dr. Knowles! If you stumble across this blog, holler back at me!

No comments:

Post a Comment