Friday, October 8, 2010

Pacific Rim Non-Vintage Chenin Blanc, $10.99

OK. Back to one of my favorite sweet winemakers.

I am obsessed with tracking down a bottle of Paumanok Vineyards chenin blanc. I read about it in Food & Wine magazine; apparently it's one of - if not the - best Chenin Blanc in the U.S. And made in New York State, no less! Heh heh, good luck trying to find it, though. Apparently, this wine is not one of the best-kept secrets in the States. Everybody knows about it.

So this is my runner-up coveted chenin blanc. First off, it's a non-vintage, but that doesn't matter so much to me if the wine tastes good & is well-priced. It's not much in the alcohol content department (12.5%). It's not much on the nose, either. This is one of the first wines I've actually smelled where I don't get much of a scent at all.

On the palate, the first thing that hits me is honey-covered honeydew melon. The back of the bottle says that there is "an eruption of floral notes and...pear, key lime and creme brulee." In all honesty, I don't taste any of those flavors, which is kind of a bummer b/c I'm a big fan of pear & key lime...and don't even get me started on creme brulee. The aftertaste is a little disappointing. Well, it's nonexistent, just like the scent on this wine.

So yes, chenin blanc is a little on the sweet side. Not sweet like Pacific Rim's sweet riesling, but sweet enough. And I love Pacific Rim, more so than most other vineyards in the U.S. So, until I can get my hands on a bottle from Paumanok, this one will have to do.

Cheers!
Kate

1 comment:

  1. I did a quick search and there is a store in NY that says they still have the 2007 vintage Paumanok Chenin Blanc. I will email you the info...hopefully its not a bait and switch.

    ReplyDelete