Sunday, November 21, 2010

2009 Frog's Leap Sauvignon Blanc Rutherford Napa Valley, $20.99

OK. I am so not excited to try this wine. Well, I was when I bought it. Then I went to open it up and saw the label on the back of the bottle. Clearly printed underneath the barcode is the phrase OPEN OTHER END. Is this a joke? 'Cuz if it is, I'm not getting it. And I have a pretty good sense of humor. And then there's the whole California sauvignon blanc stereotype. I'm just not winning with the sauvignons from Cali. New Zealand & Australia, as far as I'm concerned, are the real winners. Not Cali.

This wine looks like a chardonnay in the glass, medium-yellow. When I swirl it around in the glass, I barely see the sheet forming, but I can tell you I smell the wine from 18 inches away. Putting my nose in the glass & taking a sniff, I have to tell you this wine smells amazing. The mineral scent hits me first, followed quickly by lime, actually the acidity of the lime. I could swear I get the shortest hint of fresh-cut grass at the top of my inhale.

BOOM! NZ & AU, you got some serious competition.

When I taste this wine, the first thing I can think is that it tastes just like a sauvignon blanc from Chile or Argentina. Mmm, yummy. The acidity is sharp like a razor. This wine tastes exactly as it smells, the clean mineral taste with the idea of lime in it, followed by an almost vanilla aftertaste. I love a vanilla aftertaste, I don't care where it comes from.

This wine is not soft in the mouth at all. It's sharp & crisp, due in a small part to the wine's 12.6% alcohol content. I love how it feels in my mouth, like it's taking no prisoners. This is the perfect summertime wine, and although we're well into fall - almost into winter, actually - I'm loving drinking it. Maybe for next summer.

So yes, definitely look for this wine. And then forgive them for the stupid joke on the back of the bottle. They made a great sauvignon blanc in Napa.

Cheers!
Kate

No comments:

Post a Comment