Sunday, May 16, 2010

Cline Viognier 2008, $10.99

OK. I like California wines better than French & Italian wines, and I'm not the hugest fan of white wine, so it makes sense for me to try something white from Cali.

The back label says that this grape is rich & exotically perfumed. I'll drink to that, no pun intended. On the nose, this wine smells pretty, like lots of field flowers and candy mixed together. And not chocolate candy, sugary candy like SweetTarts (a personal favorite of mine) and Pez. The back label also says that their viognier is "loaded with pineapple, peach and apricot flavors accented by floral and citrus notes." I get that. I taste the acidic pineapple and I taste the wildflowers in the aftertaste.

That being said, I'm a little disappointed because I didn't expect this wine to be sweet. I'm not a fan of sweet wines. My husband, that's the only way he'll drink it. But me, I like something not so sweet. On the plus side, this wine has some crispness and freshness to it. It's not like a riesling per se, more like somebody mixed half a bottle of riesling with a bottle of New Zealand sauvignon blanc.

I'm feeling good from the 14% alcohol by volume content after just one glass. This is some seriously potent stuff.

I like this wine. Not my favorite, of course, but one that I will buy again if the opportunity arises. The sweetness & the alcohol content will make my husband putty in my hands. ;)

Cheers!
Kate

No comments:

Post a Comment