Sunday, May 23, 2010

Block 2 Syrah Horse Heaven Hills 2008, $19.99

OK. So this is sort of a cult wine at Stew Leonard's. Bruce sadly informed me that, after their next shipment, there will be no more Block 2 Syrah. There will be a Block 2 Cabernet, which is more my speed, but right now I've got the syrah in my hands, so that doesn't do me any good. And just so you know, this is not a straight-up syrah, it's got malbec & merlot mixed in, but it's still more than three-quarters syrah.

Onto the wine. Despite this wine's high alcohol content (14.6%), I don't smell any alcohol on the nose. I get a peppery scent, with almost a weird raw fish scent if I close my eyes & focus enough. I'm a sushi lover in addition to a wine lover, so this doesn't turn me off at all. On the glass, there are legs for days - short, thick, rounded legs. It's exciting to see such a heavy-bodied wine.

Wow, this wine is smooth. If this wine were a man, it'd be the type of man dressed in a luxe three-piece Hugo Boss suit with shiny shoes on his feet, a Rolex on his wrist & a Cuban cigar in his hand. Actually, that pretty much sums up how this wine tastes, like dark chocolate with a hint of shiny metal & the slightest bit of cigar smoke. This taste is mostly on the aftertaste, but wow, is it good. I'm excited when a wine is so full of contradictions: it smells like sushi but tastes like dark chocolate? Sign me up.

Here's the joke: I'm not even a fan of syrah. For some reason, I equate Syrah with Old Vine Zinfandel, which is the only wine I can't stomach. I don't know why, it must be some Freudian thing. But if all Syrahs were like this one, this little grape could become one of my favorites. And just think, if this vineyard can make a syrah taste this good, then imagine what is can do with a cabernet. Can't wait to find out!

Cheers!
Kate

No comments:

Post a Comment