Friday, June 17, 2011

Honig 2009 Napa Valley Sauvignon Blanc, $14.99

OK. I am not having a good day so I've never looked forward to drinking & blogging about wine this much. I figured I may as well go with a sauvignon blanc from CA b/c, if it sucks, at least it will go along with my crappy mood. If it doesn't, then it will lift my spirits.

So, why am I in such a foul mood, you ask? Good question. My dad is trying to transfer a vehicle to me, but I need auto insurance. The plan was to insure the car under my significant other's policy, where we could get a multi-car discount. It was a lot of phone calls & wasted time to the insurance company. Finally, we were all ready to go to the DMV, and my dad notices that the VIN number on the vehicle is incorrect. The insurance agent missed one letter in the VIN number & screwed everything up. My S.O. called the insurance agent back for a correction, but said insurance agent was gone. And probably 'til Monday. I wouldn't have minded, but I wasted my entire afternoon for this, and the agent is a freakin' d-bag.

So back to this wine, which came highly recommended by Bruce & Phil at Stew Leonard's. It's medium-yellow in color, leaving a clingy sheet down the side of the glass. It smells amazing, fresh, green & mineral-y. I get white rocks & a hint of green grass. Pretty.

On the palate, this wine is soft & lightweight. I get a spritz of citrus, followed by sour. On the finish, I get the freshness of green, but not exactly grass the way grass is, more like grass reinterpreted. And, curiously enough, I don't taste alcohol in this, despite its 13.5% alcohol content.

This is a nice, happy, easy-drinking summertime wine at a decent price. It doesn't exactly blow me away, but it's a nicer CA sauvignon blanc than most. Hell, I've recommended others that were lesser in quality, higher in price & lower in alcohol content than this one. So check it out, you might not be sorry. So even though I personally won't buy it again, I can see other people liking it quite a lot. Check them out at www.honingwine.com.

Cheers!
Kate

No comments:

Post a Comment