Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Yangarra McLaren Vale Shiraz 2007, $20.99

OK. I have to start this blog out with a disclaimer: I've tried this lovely screw-top wine before. We ordered it by the bottle at J.Gilbert Steak House in Glastonbury, CT (before they took it off the menu - BOO!!!) on September 18th, 2009. My husband's & my rehearsal dinner the night before we got married.

Admittedly, I was a bundle of nerves & energy that night, so I can't remember exactly what this wine tasted like, I just remember that it was good. And super smooth. Even my mom, who hates red wine, liked it. So I had Bruce at Stew Leonard's special-order a couple of bottles for me, just so I could have it on hand. I cellared one in the basement for a special occasion & kept the other in my wine fridge. I just haven't opened it yet. I just hate to open a special-order bottle for no special reason.

Readers, we buried my Grandpa today. It was one of the three saddest events of my life, right there with the death & funeral of my Aunt Margo and my family friend "Uncle" Marty. I mean, they gave him a military ceremony & everything. Even the priest got choked up. So this is a special event that calls for a strong wine. Bingo. This is a special wine that clocks in at a 14.5% alcohol content. I think it fits the bill nicely.

This wine looks gorgeous in the glass. It's a deep, dark purple color, so dark that it's almost black. The legs form instantaneously on the glass, showing off what a heavy-bodied wine it is. On the nose, it's damp & earthy. The back of the bottle claims that this wine contains "peaty and lignite characters" as well as the taste of cool breezes. That's exactly what this wine smells like, perfectly.

Oh my God, this taste of this wine is out of control. The first word that comes to mind is smooth. So smooth! And strong. There's a pleasantly bitter component on the aftertaste which I love. Peppery & spicy on the mid-palate, with some great earthy tones & a little bit of mineral taste. It doesn't feel full-bodied in the mouth, it feels thin & watery, but I'll overlook the mouth-feel (again, hate that word) because it tastes so frickin' good.

For all the Stew Leonard's shoppers: petition Bruce & the rest of the crew to put this wine on the racks on a regular basis. It's that good, you won't be sorry. Find out more at www.yangarra.com.

Oh, and Grandpa...I miss you & I will always love you.

Cheers!
Kate

No comments:

Post a Comment